Representing Business to Government
The Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce accepts the responsibility to represent its members as the "The Voice of Business." Our goal is to ensure that the business community is always represented with the region's governments and municipal agencies.
The Chamber's professional staff monitors city, county, state and federal activities and represents our members on issues and legislation affecting the welfare of businesses and the quality of life in our city. When there is cause to advocate publicly on an issue, our Public Policy department meets with decision makers to make sure they take into account the position of the thousands of businesses and employees that we represent.
The chamber also sponsors "Inside Oakland," a periodic member gathering intended to connect chamber members directly with local officials, and once yearly "Inside Sacramento," an opportunity to travel as a group to the state capital to meet with local and state leaders.
PUBLIC POLICY AGENDA
In keeping with the mission of the Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce to promote commerce and industry, to advance economic growth, and to enhance the quality of life in the city of Oakland, the Chamber aims to advocate at all levels of government so that decision-makers have a clear picture of what is needed to fulfill this vision. The Chamber believes that what business wants is what all Oakland residents want: a great place to live, work, and raise a family.
• A primary objective for the Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce is to promote advocacy efforts that catalyze economic development and represent this as a positive force benefiting all Oaklanders.
• Additionally, Oakland Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce will be a source of reliable information about how government policies at all levels relate to the local economy.
• Support legislation that reduces the cost of doing business in Oakland.
• Advocate legislation to require the City to assess the impact of new regulations on jobs, business retention, and the economy.
• Advocate for the effective maintenance, improvement, and expansion of critical infrastructure to meet the growing demands of Bay Area residents.
• Through its affiliate OakPAC, support and help elect candidates to office who understand and support issues from a business point of view.
• Support efforts and partner with local agencies and community groups to reduce and prevent criminal activity which threatens business viability, regional reputation, and community comfort.
• Lead efforts to train an on-demand workforce by fostering partnerships between employers, community colleges, and other job training enterprises.
Questions? Please contact Paul Junge, Public Policy Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.