2013 Economic Development Summit
Building A Strong Economy: A Vision for 2020 was held at the Oakland Convention Center on February 6, 2013. Please visit our new Economic Development Summit page for more up to date information on our economic development events.
2012 Summit Survey and Photos
Thank you for joining us in Oakland at the Heart of the MegaRegion on Friday, May 4th 2012!
We look forward to hosting you next year. Check out the event metrics HERE.
Northern California MegaRegion Summit
Oakland: Heart of the MegaRegion
An educational half-day conference in Oakland on Friday, May 4, 2012
Now in its third year, the MegaRegion Summit gathered business leaders, labor representatives, industry experts, technology innovators, government leaders, educators, development planners, and community partners to brainstorm solutions, identify obstacles, and develop strategies to keep the Northern California region competitive. This year, the program provided something for everyone, with a selection of themed mobile workshops that allowed participants to explore Oakland – the thriving city at the heart of the Northern California MegaRegion.
With the support of the local technology community, the Port of Oakland, and City of Oakland participants selected from the following in-depth mobile workshops. Each session featured experts in the field and provided a deeper understanding of the given topic:
- Business & the Port of Oakland - This workshop toured Oakland’s Port (the 5th busiest container Port in the country) by boat and featured an in-depth discussion on maritime, aviation, and commercial real estate opportunities with the Port and its business partners at Oakland International Airport and Jack London Square. Discussion participants included:
Isaac Kos-Read, Director of External Affairs, Port of Oakland
Lawrence Dunnigan, Manager Business Development & International Marketing, Port of Oakland
Bill Elmore, Transload Consultant, UB Universal, Industrial Transload and Portable Dock Systems (PDS)
Deborah Ale Flint, Director of Aviation, Port of Oakland
David Barns, Executive Vice President, Landmark Aviation
Pam Kershaw, Acting Director of Commercial Real Estate, Port of Oakland
Will Miller, Vice President of Leasing, Ellis Partners
- Commercial Development in the City of Oakland – This workshop examined the question, “What is the service, entertainment, and retail follow up to Oakland’s 10K housing initiative of the early 2000s?” In a roving bus classroom, workshop participants traversed Oakland’s arterial Broadway corridor from the “Hills to Bay” and explored its development potential. This special Broadway Opportunity Corridor mobile workshop, heard from representatives of the newly formed City of Oakland Office of Economic Development and the following speakers from the private sector:
Nadine Fogarty, Urban Land Institute (ULI) Rose Center Advisor
David Greensfelder, Greensfelder Development
Kim Bardakian, Cathedral of Christ the Light
David Zylstra, Property Development Centers
Todd Paradis, Safeway
Kay Stodd, Director of the Hospital Rebuild, Kaiser Permanente (Oakland) Medical Center
With Special Tour introduction by: Deanna J. Santana, Oakland City Administrator
- Technology and Innovation Panel Discussion – This workshop examined Oakland’s diverse and thriving technology sector. Participants walked to Sungevitiy’s new Jack London Square headquarters for a comprehensive conversation on Oakland’s advancements in green innovation, new media, venture capital, and technology workforce development. Panelists included:
- Danny Kennedy, Sungevity, Founder
- Joe Kennedy, Pandora Internet Radio, CEO & President
- Nick Allen, Spring Ventures, Partner
- Daniel Brusilovsky, Teens in Tech Labs, Founder
- Billy Parish, Solar Mosaic, Founder
- Seth Miller, DBL Investors, Partner
Moderated by: Patrick Hoge, San Francisco Business Times, Technology Beat Reporter. This workshop will also included a guided tour of Sungevitiy’s innovative business incubator space for Oakland start-ups.
Oakland: Heart of the MegaRegion was held at the Jack London Market Building (55 Harrison St), from Noon to 6pm and concluded with a reception featuring Oakland restaurants, brewers and vintners.
Special Presentation at the Oakland Restaurant Association Reception (5pm)
A U.S. Department of Commerce Export Achievement Certificate was presented to:
Ali Ousilas, Principal, California Trade & Export Inc.
Jared McCall, Co-Founder & CRO, Milagro Import Export LLC.
Award Presented by:
· The Honorable Congresswoman Barbara Lee, Rep. 9th District
· Rod Hirsch, Oakland Export Assistance Center, U.S. Commercial Service, U.S. Department of Commerce
Individual Tickets included a boxed lunch, keynote speaker, mobile workshop, USB drive with City, Port & Sponsor documents, and a reception catered by the Oakland Restaurant Association and local vintners and brewers.